5/11/2007

May 8, 2007 – Travel to Illinois

Today, we left the hills of Kentucky and traveled into the flatlands. In Illinois, we decided to get off the major interstates and start doing the two lane roads to see the heartland of America.

The small towns are separated by many farms (unlike the east where one towns runs into another.) Here are some pictures:







Yes, that is an oil rig. We saw many of them dotting the farms along with small oil storage tanks.

One interesting note is that in many of these small towns there is a McDonald’s and a Wal-Mart (even in those that have populations of 700).

We stayed at Ramsey Lake State Park – beautiful area:



Did you know that Ramsey, Illinois is the home of Tex Williams? (Nope, neither did we.)

Miles Traveled: 289
Routes Traveled
Kentucky:
Natcher Parkway, US 60 ByPass, Audubon Parkway, I-164
Indiana:
I-164, I-64
Illinois:
I-64, US 45, US 50, US 51


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog just reading random things on the internet one night while I was bored. I seen the one where you go through IL and put down some weird named towns. I just happen to be from St. Elmo and we get a lot of the "St. Elmo's Fire" from a lot of different people.
the town actually starte out about a mile west from where it sits today as Howard's Point after a guys whose last name was Howard. I don't remember the whole story but it grew and moved to where it is now and was once maybe going to be named Murray. The name St. Elmo came from a character that was in a book the guy that named the town was reading. I don't have any idea what the name of the book was but I just thought I'd fill ya in on our weird named town