10/15/2022

October 10, 2022 Travel to Florence Oregon

One of the greatest things about our travels is that we can change our mind on where we want to go.  Originally we were going to head south towards the Redwoods but…being this close to the Oregon coast, I could not resist!  So after saying our goodbyes and see you laters, we headed west to the coast.

Another smoky day along I-5:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (10)

And the mountains we need to go thru:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (15)

Heading to the coast:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (29)

So many beautiful rivers:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (45)

We followed the Umpqua River for a while:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (64)

Then in the valley, I spot these ELK:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (69a)

About 1/2 mile later, we found the herd!!  Oh my, I was so excited.  We pulled over and just watched them.  There were so so many and it was just awesome to see.

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (72)

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (81)

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (112)

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (121)

What a real treat!!

Elk facts:  https://www.rmef.org/elk-facts/

We crossed the Umpqua River and headed north on US-101.

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (154)

Crossing the Siuslaw River into Florence Oregon:

2022-10-10 Travel from Shady Cove to Florence OR (169)

We made our way to the Elks Lodge Campground, got settled in and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

I have very fond memories of Florence Oregon.  In 1981, I had a 2.5 week vacation from work and decided to see the USA.  And I did see some incredible things.  On my way down the coast, I had trouble with my car.  First place I stopped, they couldn’t help me.  When I called and explained what was happening to my dad (who was a mechanic), he told me to find a Chevy dealer with a garage.  So the first one I found was in Florence Oregon.  My dad talked to the mechanic but it turned out that they did not have a part and it might take 2 days to get it. 

So in trying to find a place to stay, the parts manager (who talked to my dad) recommended a little inn in town and to tell the owner that he sent me.  Well, this woman was wonderful.  She got me set up in a room.  When I asked about where to do laundry, she brought me back to her area where I did my laundry while we had coffee and chatted. This was an old home/hotel where rooms were added on the side for a motel.  Everything connected and the main lobby was like a living room.

How kind this woman was.  I was 26 years old, traveling alone, wondering how I was going to pay for this, wondering what happens if they can’t fix it and she made me feel that everything was going to be ok.  I have forgotten her name but not her kindness.  I have forgotten the name or where in town the inn was located but if we are here a while, I am going to try to find it.

Now that was 41 years ago and I will say the town has expanded.  It will be interesting to explore.

Stay tuned for our discoveries and enjoy today!

Stats for today:

Miles Traveled: 215 Miles

Routes Traveled:

Oregon: OR-62; I-5; OR-138; OR-38; US-101; Mercer Lake Road

No comments: