10/10/2009

October 8, 2009 – Computer

Today we got caught up with things around the motor home and I had hoped to get my computer fixed.

I received a call from Dell saying that my part would not be available until 11/7.  THIS is the same part that they returned because they could not wait for me so NOW I have to wait for them.  After talking with MANY technicians and explaining my situation (living in a motor home), I am still in the same place – no computer fix until THEY are ready – Customer Service, my ----!!!  (Can you feel my frustration?)   So for now as we move, I will tell them where I am and I was PROMISED (HA!) that the parts will find me when they come in (HA- we will see).

One thing I did find out was that the Bios on my computer may have been causing the failures.  According to them I SHOULD have gone to the support site and downloaded the appropriate upgrades for my computer.  (Didn’t know that and was not told that on the first failure in March nor all the other phone calls with this failure – and not really sure why!).  So if you have a Dell, you need to go to Support.Dell.com, go to drivers and downloads, put in your computer code – from the tag on the bottom, and then figure out what ones you need.  I am in the middle of that right now for the new computer.  You know, there has to be an easier way – if there is, please let me know!

Enough!!

3 comments:

Computer Repair in Burbank said...

I understand your frustrations. Waiting for a part for that long and getting the run-around from Dell is a big hassle.

About the bios, it is possible that that would cause computer problems but only in rare cases (mostly when the fan isn't turned on high enough and the computer overheats.) Most of the time, an outdated bios will not cause a computer to completely fail, just possibly have minor problems with peripheral devices.

What is the part you are waiting for? Maybe it is something that can be ordered and taken care of quickly.

If you have any questions, you can contact me. My website is www.E-Geniuses.com. We also have a blog and a monthly newsletter regarding computers and technology. Check it out at www.E-Geniuses.com/news.

Joey

Diane said...

Thanks, Joey
I am waiting for a video card and a screen - appreciate the help but I am still under warrenty (best thing I did get, well, maybe).

And thanks for the info on the bios. When I asked one of the Dell supervisors about the repeat failure, he told me that the fan shuts down(thereby overheating the computer) when it should not and the updated bios corrects that - ??? So maybe I am one of those rare cases.

I will be checking out your website and maybe contacting you.

Joey Mariano said...

Hope it all works out for you.