3/27/2015

March 25–26, 2015 McClellanville and On Turning 60

On Wednesday, 25th, we just hung out and and got outside between the raindrops.

Andy found this guy hanging out on his morning walk.

03-25-15 A Bull Landing (6)

After supper, the skies cleared again and we took a walk around the campground.  Here is the intercoastal waterway – the tide was out:

03-25-15 A Bull Landing (9)

03-25-15 A Bull Landing (11)

Across the waterway are wildlife refuges, marsh and swamp lands and then the Atlantic Ocean.

The campground:

03-25-15 A Bull Landing (14)

On Thursday, 26th, I turned 60 – Happy Birthday to me.  Andy took me to dinner to T. W. Graham & Co. Seafood Restaurant in the little village of McClellanville.  It was a small quaint place and the shrimp was the BEST I have ever had.  Yum, Yum.

When I was looking for a place to go, here is what I found out about the village:

“McClellanville village began in the late 1860s when local plantation owners A.J. McClellan and R.T. Morrison sold lots in the vicinity of Jeremy Creek to planters of the Santee Delta, who sought relief from summer fevers. The first store opened soon after the Civil War, and the village became the social and economic center for a wide area that produced timber, rice, cotton, naval stores, and seafoods. Incorporated in 1926, McClellanville township became, and remains, best known for its shrimping fleet and seafood industries.

In 1989 the town was devastated by the full brunt of Hurricane Hugo which destroyed homes, downed century old oaks, deposited shrimp boats in front yards, and otherwise altered much of the picturesque character of this historic fishing village. The stronger north side of the eyewall passed directly over the village while a Category 4 hurricane. Residents taking refuge in the local high school, a designated storm shelter, were surprised by a storm surge which threatened to drown the refugees. Helping one another in complete darkness, they managed to crawl into a space above the false ceilings of the building and, fortunately, none were lost.”  

Can you imagine how scary that must have been?

It was a really nice day.  Thank you to all who called, texted, sent emails, and notes on Facebook.  It means a lot to me.  So how do I feel about turning 60.  My friend, Rosann, had the right words and I feel the same way: I am grateful and blessed for the life I had and have, I am grateful to have lived this long (So many of my friends died in their 40’s and 50’s) and I am grateful to be in relatively good health.  But, my goodness, I am a little in shock – where did the time go!

Tomorrow we continue our journey north so stay tuned and enjoy today.

IMG_2609492789254

No comments: