4/21/2023

April 11 – 16, 2023 Benson Arizona

On Tuesday, 11th, after our final packing and shutting down our lot in Casa Grande, we headed east.  I did not drive today.  Between the breezes and I-10 thru Tucson…well, a little too much for me yet.  Next time.

As we traveled past Tucson, the desert began to change:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (2)

More hills and mountains and we were also climbing in altitude:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (8)

Even the vegetation is changing:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (10)

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (11)

Love the drawings on the bridges:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (15)a

Train tracks everywhere:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (16)

Coming into Benson:

2023-04-11 Travel from CG to Benson (29)

What an incredible view:

2023-04-13 Benson (5)

We first visited Benson in 2009 and I fell in love with these mountains.  The pictures do not do it justice.  During one of our stays here over the years, we watched a full moon come over those mountains – it was incredible!  Here is a link to that post:

http://thehitzels.blogspot.com/2009/01/january-10-2009-tombstone-and-moon.html

Hard to believe that was 14 years ago!

We are parked on the top row – a little breezy – and we will be here for a week.  After doing a little tour of the park, we went to Happy Hour where we caught up with Bruce and Maxine and met a few new folks.  What a great time.

Today’s stats:

Miles Traveled: 121 Miles

Routes Traveled:

Arizona: S. Montgomery Road; I-8; I-10; AZ-80; East Saguaro Drive

-----------

Wednesday we did a few things around the motorhome and then visited with Mike and Mary.  We last saw them in Quartzsite and it was great to see them again and get caught up.  They have a new home since we were here last and have upgraded their lot – very nice.  They have an incredible view of those mountains above!

-------------

Thursday I traveled to Sierra Vista to meet a grade school classmate, Sherry, who I have not seen in over 50 years.  

A little background: A few years ago, a fellow grade school classmate posted our First Communion picture on Facebook.  Although not everyone is connected, there were enough connections to gather folks together.  Sherry contacted me and saw that I traveled to Arizona and told me where she lived. So this trip, I was going to be 30 miles from her so we made a date to have lunch.

What a great time getting to know her and her husband Rich.  Looking forward to seeing them again when I come thru. 

One of the areas on my bucket list is to explore the south eastern corner of AZ and south western corner of NM. So I will be back in this area. Hopefully next year.

------------

Side note: I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook.  BUT, I have to say it has helped me reconnect with lost family and friends and that is a plus!!

-------------

Friday, we had dinner with Mike and Mary at the local VFW and then visited at our place until the sun went down and the wind picked up.  What a great time.

------------

Saturday, we spent the afternoon with our friends, Gloria, Frank, and Sharon.  Sadly Sharon’s husband Don passed away a few years ago.  All three are off the road and live near each other in a nice development in Benson.  We spent the day reminiscing and getting caught up and laughing.  It was great to see them.

-------------

On Sunday, Mike and Mary treated us to a delicious dinner!  What a great dinner and what a great time telling stories and laughing! 

----------

Thanks to everyone for making our week in Benson special.

----------

Andy and I have been traveling since 2007 (with a brief lapse for me) and during that time we met many good people.  Some of those folks became friends and dear to our hearts. 

In the past eight months, we have reconnected with many of those friends who make my heart smile and I am so grateful and blessed for that.  There are others who we just didn’t connect - due to our schedules but that will be next season. (God Willing!)

------------

Our last day here was Monday and we did a little road trip.  That will be the next blog with pictures.  Until then, enjoy today.

------------

19598803_847764762039776_4276434039082890378_n

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels cuz! See you next time!❤❤

Diane said...

Sounds good. Stay in touch!