4/22/2024

April 21st Part 2 and April 22nd, 2024 - Tonopah Nevada

April 21st Part 2

When we left the Mining Park, we headed to the Mizpah Hotel for lunch.  Sadly the grill was closed.  We did talk to the desk clerk about tours because we had heard so much about it being haunted.  We decided to do that next trip.

So we went home for lunch and headed back out again to stop at the Famous Clown Motel - another "haunted place".

https://www.theclownmotelusa.com/history




All I can say is that it is really creepy - we did not spend much time there.

Even more scary is that the First Tonopah Cemetery is right next door.  There is a lot of history here but my fault, I did not do enough research before coming here.  There is a guide pamphlet at the visitor center and maybe next time I will know enough history to do a good visit. 



The new owner of the Clown Motel built a gazebo by the Motel and Cemetery.  I left Andy there to explore two old buildings nearby.  I could not find out what their history is but I think they will probably not be here in a few months.


There must have been pigeon nests in the rafters underneath the second floor.  When I walked to it, there were about 10 pigeons that flew out and watched me.  After going thru the other building, I came back to this because I could see a cool tile floor.  Well, I walked in, I swear they wanted to attack.  OK THEN!  So no pictures of the tile floor.


Sad..  No, I did not get real close.  In between the two buildings, there was a basement - no building.  Have no clue what this was.


I explored what I could without putting myself in danger.   What I found interesting in these two buildings was that there were no windows on the first floor????

Part of the Historic Mining Park:




Cool Murals:


Tonopah History:


Now as I sit here putting this blog together, I realized that I did not take any pictures of some of the old historic buildings.  We went past them but ... I thought I did.

Next time!

April 22nd, 2024

Our plans were to go to the Central Nevada Museum this morning.  I read that they had an old West Town and lots of interesting things in the museum - including information about the ghost towns.  Well, another time I did not plan (I am slipping...).  They are closed on Sunday and Monday.  Bummer...  Next time.

So we came back home and hung out.  We finished our planning for the next 2 weeks - YEA!  And got caught up with a few other things.

Will we come back to Tonopah - Absolutely yes.  We have come thru here more times than I remember and never stopped.  

There is so much to see in this area:

3 Ghost Towns within an hours drive,

Walking tour of Historic Tonopah - with a docent (visitor center schedules them).

Polaris Tour with a Tour guide of the Mining District

Central Nevada Museum

Mizpah Hotel - Tours and Ghost Tours..

So for my RVing friends who did the same as me and passed thru Tonopah - Check it out!


Tomorrow we head north so stay tuned and enjoy today.





3 comments:

Ron and Bonnie Hough said...

Great coverage of Tonopah. We have passed through several times, always on our way to somewhere else. The last time, we did take time to wander through the historic mining park and found it very interesting. Maybe next time we'll stay a couple days. We find that every place is interesting in some unique way and every town has its local history and hero.

Diane said...

Yes it is!

Diane said...

To Anonymous..

That is just awesome! But since you did not post your name, I have no idea who we missed...

BTW, We did check the place out by the Ranger station. The views were just amazing. Maybe we even passed you - do you remember a Ford Red Truck?