3/23/2022

February 9–March 19, 2022 Our Time in Wauchula Florida

Wow, Can’t believe it has been over a month since I posted.  So this post will be an overall of what we have been doing in Wauchula at our lot.  (I am also doing this for me so I can remember a few years from now – LOL)

Florida SKP Resort – We spent a lot of our time getting to know the park, the rules (which we broke daily, then weekly).  LOL.  Like any other CO-OP, there are rules, regulations, cultural ways, unspoken rules, and politics.  We tried to stay out of most of the politics.  All the people we met were wonderful and friendly and answered all our questions.  The interesting thing was that after we broke yet another rule, we asked for a list of what we can and cannot do.  There are pages and pages, however, it does not address everything.  I think that if we were coming here a lot before we got the lot, we would probably know the ins and outs like we did at Casa Grande.  I also think that if we ever do spend a winter here, I will volunteer to do a welcome packet.

We were blessed to have Andy’s brother, Bill, and my sister-in-law, Marcia, here with us for three weeks.  We usually spent some time with them every day – happy hours or dinner or visiting the local American Legion, Moose, and Elks Lodges.  As you know, Andy got an E-Bike and he and Bill took almost daily rides – some short and some long (30+ miles).  I think they both had a blast.  It was great having that time with them.  (And great having some girl time with Marcia). They are on the list to get a lot here so we will see them more in the future.

Marcia and I took a day and went to the Peter Powell Roberts Museum of Art and Cultural Center in Avondale.  A very interesting story about Peter Powell Roberts:

“Florida Master Artist Peter Powell Roberts was an instructor, and department head at the Ringling College of Art in Sarasota Florida for 23 years. He also founded the Design and Computer Graphics Departments at the college.

After retirement Mr. Roberts moved to a homestead adjacent to Highlands Hammock State Park.  He dedicated himself to painting the hammock as a storyline to the cycle of life.

He worked continually for 20 years producing oil on wood paintings until his wife of 46 years died. She was his anchor.

Peter Powell Roberts and his work went missing in 2010.  He was found two years later in a nursing home in Sebring, FL. 

A body of 136 oil on wood paintings, most of which have never been seen before, and eight sculptures were later found in a storage shed.”

Isn’t that amazing?  He started painting again and when he died he willed his collection to Heartland Cultural Alliance.

We took in the museum – the paintings are beautiful and we chatted with the volunteers.  The Alliance had a little store and they are also going to offer classes (taking note for me if I am here for a season).   It was a really nice day.  Thanks Marcia.

In 2008 when we were in Livingston, Texas, we met Audrey and John.  We saw them a few years later in Pahrump, NV and have stayed in touch.  When they found out we were here in Florida, they contacted us.  They are living in Port Charlotte in the winter and Michigan in the summer.  So we spent a day together getting caught up and having lunch.  Thank you Audrey and John.  If all goes well we hope to see them in Michigan in late summer.  I am so grateful for the friends that keep in touch.  I need to work on that more.

Pioneer Park had their Pioneer Days in early March so one of the days, we  (Andy, Bill, Marcia and me) headed over there.  It is one of the largest, and the oldest antique tractor, engines, and farm equipment shows in the southeast. There is also a large area that has arts and crafts and a flea market.  So while the guys headed to the equipment, Marcia and I did the many rows of crafts and flea market items.  As some of you know, I just LOVE craft markets and flea markets.  (Really missed them during Covid.)

Pioneer Days also has music, demonstrations and so much more but by mid day, Andy and I could not take the heat anymore.  Too uncomfortable for me. Next time I am going to buy a three day ticket – LOL!

Speaking of the weather, well, they had above normal temperatures.  The first few weeks were not bad but then the humidity set in – Yikees.

We did go back to Pioneer Park another day and did the Wildlife Refuge and part of the Peace River Trail.  That is in the next blog.

Another day, Anne and I went to the Red Barn Flea Market in Bradenton – over 600 vendors, both inside and out.  Since the inside was air conditioned, we did outside first and then came inside.  WOW! What a place.  They had everything and then some.  It was a great time as well as nice getting to know Anne. Thanks Anne for coming along.

We also continued to get to know the systems in our RV.  No instructions, sheesh.  Thank God for internet forums and groups.

So now for our cat story…

When we arrived at our lot, this little lass showed up.

2022-02-09 Florida SKP Park (6)

2022-02-09 Florida SKP Park (27)

2022-02-14 Cats (2)

She was extremely affection and was always with us outside. Yes, I did start to feed her and gave her a little box in the shed. (I know you can probably hear my Andy saying “NO MORE CATS!”).  Anyway, I called the local shelters to find out what to do which was put up flyers in the park and surrounding streets. Then call them if no one comes forward. Well I put up flyers in the park and Andy and Bill went to each of the homes with the other flyers.

So a side note:  I signed up for the ladies luncheon and said I needed a ride because Andy was going to the men’s luncheon.  We decided he would take the car one month and I would do it the next time.  Anyway, this wonderful woman, Anne, called and offered me a ride.  I got to meet her that day along with some other great ladies.  Anne was talking about a little dog that she was going to pick up the next day.

So over the next few days, we would see Anne and invited her to sit with us.  The first time she did, the cat jumped up on her lap and just purred away.  And that is when we found out that getting the little dog fell thru. (Shelter found the owner.)  So we asked Anne if she would be interested in taking the cat and to think about it.  I volunteered to get it vetted and fixed.  By that time, all the flyers were out and in a few days, the rescue was going to take the kitty.

SOOOO, Anne did take the kitty.  She got vetted and mostly all was good.  And here she is in her new home and with Anne.  The kitty’s new name is Dinah and she just follows Anne around.  Sometimes things are meant to be.

2022-03-14 Dinah in Florida (5)

 2022-03-01 Anne Dinah Florida SKP (2) 

Look at the look on the cat’s face and the smile on Anne:

2022-03-01 Anne Dinah Florida SKP (4)

There was also another cat that we found that would come around but disappeared after the new little kitty came inside.  The rescues that I dealt with were wonderful!

Anne lives in NY and hopefully we will see her on her way home.

As some of you know, I truly dislike making reservations.  I want the freedom to find a place, stay for a short or long time and then move on.  HOWEVER, times have changed and this is snowbird and spring break season in the south..  Oh my.  So I have to tell you that I spent HOURS trying to find places for the way home.

My companion trying to help:

2022-03-11 Bella in Florida SKP Park (9)

I wanted to spend some time in Saint Augustine but it was totally booked unless I wanted to pay a lot of money for a site.  So we decided to pass until next time.  I am not sure how I am going to like this new way to travel.  We will see what happens when we go out west later this summer.

My sleepy kitties:

2022-03-11 Bella in Florida SKP Park (5) 

2022-02-13 A Cats in Florida (1)

2022-02-16 Cats in Florida (3)

He loves this window:

2022-03-16 Gray in Florida (2)  

So that is our update.  There will be a blog after this about the Wildlife Refuge. 

We start heading north on March 20, 2022 so stay tuned and enjoy today.

GOD BLESS US ALL!

2022-02-08 Camping World Florida (4) 

No comments: