2/26/2011

February 25, 2011 Traveling to and in Texas

We were up early this morning, got everything packed up and were on our way with…are you ready for this….ME DRIVING – :-))).   I figured it was about time I started doing more of it.. 

Anyway, 20 miles later on I-10, all these alarms start going off on our Pressure Pro (tire monitoring system).  I see 24 (psi) flashing and then realize it is our MH passenger back inside tire – Yikees!!!   So I slowly got off the road with out doing any harm.   We walked out the door and could hear the air escaping.  OH MY.  It turned out to be the valve stem in that tire.   Andy tried fixing it but we finally gave up and called Good Sam (heck, that is why we pay for Roadside Assistance).

They arrived about 1 hour later (From TA in Wilcox, AZ), fixed us up and we were on our way again by 11:30 – Andy driving (I will try again another day.   I figure it was enough excitement for both of us for one day… :-)).

So we said our goodbyes to Arizona – :-(((.   Well, not goodbyes as my friend Kay says but see you later – :-)).

02-25-11 Travel I-10 Benson to NM Border 010

02-25-11 Travel I-10 Benson to NM Border 004

And in thru New Mexico where we saw lots of different signs:

This is scary:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 007

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 013

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 016

Use EXTREME CAUTION not just Caution – even scarier!:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 018

Now this is the area where the dust storms occur:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 010

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 021

What do these poor cows do when there is a dust storm:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 025

Lots of signs advertising the Continental Divide Trading Post:

Wonder what kind of snake stuff (did not want to find out):

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 032

LOTSA Rocks – LOL!:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 033

Just in case you missed any of the signs…here they are all together:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 035

And here is the Trading Post – believe me, it is in the middle of nowhere!  How cute!  

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 036

We actually saw a number of these posts along our way today – all in the middle of nowhere and they all had pretty much the same signs – :-).

And the trains along the way:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 046

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 012

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 022

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 030

Andy trying to out run the train:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 031

Abandoned homes along the roadway:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 038

Homes/Farms/Ranches with trees all around – protection from the wind:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 045

And hilltops that just pop up every now and then (actually we are on a high plateau in these pictures):

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 040   

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 047

And greeting us at the entrance to Las Cruces:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 051

He was HUGH!

And Las Cruces – oh my! – talk about humanity:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 054

We will be back:

02-25-11 XTravel I-10 Across New Mexico 058

And into Texas…. and El Paso.. even more humanity:

 02-25-11 Z Travel I-10 Texas El Paso 001

02-25-11 Z Travel I-10 Texas El Paso 004

02-25-11 Z Travel I-10 Texas El Paso 005

02-25-11 Z Travel I-10 Texas El Paso 007

Andy did a great job of getting thru this traffic – while I was on pins and needles….

We made a decision to get to the east side of El Paso before we stopped.  And then since we were so close to the Mexican border, we decided to go further.   (For those of you who are wondering why, El Paso is across the border from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico  which has had quite a bit of problems and I would not feel comfortable – just me.)   So we are staying in a Passport America park, Vista RV, in Sierra Blanca, Texas ($10.00/night for full hookups).

We arrived in the dark which is very unusual for us and we stayed on the interstates, which is even more unusual.   Well, here is the reason.   When I plan routes I also take into consideration the weather patterns.  There is a huge storm coming in from the Pacific and will make its way across the southwest on Saturday night into Sunday.   Many of the areas have very high wind advisories and even snow predicted down as low as 1000’ feet.    In Benson, they were predicting snow and very cold temps for Sunday which is why we left.   In eastern Texas, the warnings were put out last Wednesday for Sunday’s storm and those predictions were for high winds and some gusts up to 80 mph.   We were trying to figure out if we should just buckle down somewhere and wait it out or go further east to get out of the winds – and that was our decision – keep on going.   Our destination is Hondo, Texas where there is a Escapees Co-op – their weather prediction is for a temperature drop but hey, on Sunday it will be 90 there and on Monday, it will be 79 – that is a no brainer…   So that is our plans and why we will probably stick to the interstate to outrun the storm.

Until tomorrow.

Miles Traveled:  359 miles

Routes Traveled:

Arizona: SR-80; I-10

New Mexico: I-10

Texas: I-10; Ranch Road 1111, I-10 Business

4 comments:

DNPC said...

Hi Guys - we've enjoyed following your travels. We've been back and forth on I-10 dozens of times, so seeing the pictures brought back familiar times. If you get this in time, consider taking Highway 90 at Van Horn instead of I-10. It's no longer and takes you through interesting towns like Marfa (home of the mystery lights!), Alpine, and Langtry, where there's a great state park at the Judge Roy Bean site. We're in San Antonio, but getting ready to head for New Mexico, otherwise we'd try to get together. Have a great time in Texas!
Keith & Brenda
The Damn Near Perfect Couple

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Welcome to Texas.
Lovely pictures, and descriptions.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX
www.pennys-tuppence.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Hi Keith and Brenda,
We did consider Highway 90 but because of the storm coming in to west Texas, we decided to just barrel thru to Hondo. But we will be back to that area - I do want to see some of those areas - still on my bucket list. Stay in touch and hopefully we will met another time.
We are currently in Hondo and will be here for about a week - when are you leaving for NM?

Diane said...

Thanks Penny..