12/11/2008

December 11, 2008 – Diamond Hunting

We spent most of our day today diamond hunting. We arrived on the field with all our tools, rented screens and away we went.

Here is another picture of the field:


We were told to keep the sun at our back and look and dig and wash, etc. The neat thing about this field is that on a sunny day, you can see sparkles all over. Most if not all are not diamonds but mica. (It still looked pretty cool and had us fooled for a while.)

Andy did most of the sluicing and I did most of the hunting (and we gave each other breaks).

Here is Andy sluicing:



Here I am looking through the fine stuff left after sluicing (forgive the outfit – my ears were cold and it was sunny):



So what did we find…….?

No diamonds – awwww!! But I did find jasper, clear quartz, an agate, two conglomerates, and a bone (yes, a bone – the center told me it was from a very small animal). It was a lot of fun!

We got back late afternoon, started a campfire and even cooked over it. But, for me it was a little too cold to sit out after supper. Hopefully later this week.



No comments: